Monday, September 28, 2009

Confessions of a recovering binge eater

Sometimes I wonder what life would have been like if I hadn't grown up with a mother who enjoyed seriously disordered eating. She bounced between anorexia, bulimia, binging without purging & compulsive exercise. Some weeks she wouldn't eat for days, others she would binge for days on end, trying to hide the purging. Then there were the diet pills and the refusal to take her meds (diagnosed bipolar - but she's fine. No really. She's fine! She doesn't need meds... she doesn't think so, anyway!). She would bounce from 100 pounds to 230 pounds in what felt like the blink of an eye.

It was a cycle, and that cycle of binging, purging, starvation & compulsive exercise colored my perceptions of what a healthy relationship with food was. Growing up, I thought the binge without the purge was healthy. I thought only anorexia & bulimia were eating disorders, and that everyone ate excessively when they weren't "dieting". I thought watching what I ate was the wrong thing to do, because if I did, I would be following in my mom's whacked out foot steps and I would be destined for an eating disorder & possible death.

Nearly every day, without fail, dinner was grilled chicken or fish with plain veggies with a salad starter (until the 2nd divorce & then it was whatever I made). There was never junk food in the house (which is another story entirely!), there were never sweets, or anything to snack on other than fruit. Food choices weren't the issue in that house, it was the portions.

I didn't realize until recently that I also had an unhealthy relationship with food. I modeled my relationship with food after her whacked out relationship with food. Or rather I rebelled against the anorexia & bulimia that almost killed her when I was a teenager (2 surgeries & 3 weeks in ICU), and picked up on her binge eating cycle... without the purging. (honesty check: I tried the purging, but couldn't bring myself to do it - I HATE throwing up & always have. Ick).

When I finally flew the coop, I still made meals large enough to feed a family of 4 with hungry, growing boys, and ate the vast majority of it for dinner that night. I would eat a huge bag of tortilla chips & salsa as a snack when I got home. There was ALWAYS junk, because I'd never been allowed it before. Veggies were eaten in public, but rarely at home, because it was HER kind of food & I wanted to be nothing like her. I managed to keep my weight kind of in check (170-190ish) for years, but when I moved to Florida, it spiraled out of control & I finally found myself standing on the scale, looking down at a number that scared the beejeebers out of me.

247.2 pounds. I weighed 247.2 pounds. That's more than some FOOTBALL PLAYERS! It scared me badly enough that I ordered NutriSystem the next day. I lost about 20lbs the first month & felt great about that, but the soy did bad things to me, so I eventually quit. I found a doctor supervised program locally & started the expensive & restrictive process (low carb, low cal, low fat - average of 500cals a day, and yet another story to be told!). I lost an additional 56lbs in 3 months, hit a fabulous 171.2lbs (size 10!), and felt like I could do anything. But the demons in my head were vicious, and I started binging again- 40lbs came back on in under 2 months - it felt like the blink of an eye!

I spent most of the last year and a half in a vicious cycle - exercise, binge, eat right, binge, binge, binge, binge, diet, exercise, binge.

It's just recently that I've realized how unhealthy my relationship with food has been, and that diets, in the traditional, restrictive sense, don't work for me. They make the binge monster growl, and I've finally figured out that I can keep him in check by simply allowing myself a little of whatever I want - no food is off limits, nothing is forbidden. I can eat chips or ice cream if I have a little craving. I even had a slice of pizza a few weeks ago. Just one slice (it was kind of big). In the past I would have eaten most, if not all of the pizza in one sitting, but because it wasn't a "forbidden food", I was satisfied with my one slice.

It's everything in moderation now, and I haven't had a binge in over a month. I'll never know what life might have been like growing up with a healthy relationship with food, but I'm learning what it's like as an adult. And I like what I see!

8 comments:

  1. A post this like takes courage. Thank you for sharing. Here's to a life of moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as ballsy as you might think - there's a reason this blog is annonymous! :)
    Cheers to a life lived in moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really hard to come to terms with this relationship to food. Learning why I was eating what I was really did help me lose my weight.

    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diane. Coming to terms with food is a process, and I'm happy to finally be in a place where I'm ready & willing to work through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel the shift. you really are transitioning into indulging in moderation :) And by that I mean indulging as in treating yourself to it, because moderation is the most amazing thing ever! :) go girl! (and I'm happy for me too. Your exercise binges make me feel fat and guilty for sitting here hearing about it when I should be out working out too lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lil Miss D you are NOT to feel guilty OR fat for sitting there! You're a beautiful girl, and your recent rededication to yourself, your health & your fitness has been a huge inspiration to me, whether you knew it or not!
    Moderation feels amazing - I never thought it would, but it does - it kind of feels like freedom :) Love you oodles! (and off topic, but have lots to tell you about this weekend, so get your sweet tushie online for chat soon! This weekend & the Diver are yet another blog to be written:) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are my hero for the day! Great post and awareness. The thing is look back at history and puting it to bed. It's time for your history and your life when it comes to food. For me eating in moderation was not working so I set food boundaries. Most of my friends ask me not to do it because they felt I would be missing out on parties and holidays. I explained to them that parties and holidays has nothing to do with my boundaries and I will have a better time at them because I won't have to ask myself "why did I eat that?" What I realized is that most people hate boundaries and they might feel they will have to set them to be around me. I hope they get over it soon. This is about me and what I can and not justify. It has been interesting to hear all the justifications for eating cakes, cookies, and donuts. I have to laugh but of course I do that inside. My people have true passion for their donuts. I would like to thank you for posting this and I wish you true success in reducing and maintaining your ideal weight. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyricgirl - I think we all have our own boundaries. They're different for each of us. I started the Dr supervised diet the day before Thanksgiving... My allowed food list was miniscule, and I wasn't allowed alcohol - I still went to all of the parties & went to bars & clubs with friends, I just played the Designated Driver, and ate before the parties. I had so much fun as the DD, that even though I'm off that plan, I'm STILL usually the DD!
    For me, making food groups off limits causes binge issues. I get that now, and I'm good with making MY boundary the portion size. I can have A piece, or a bite or two of a couple of things, and I'm satisfied.
    For other people, a single bite might trigger a binge, but they can avoid foods with no binge issues.
    The key is to know yourself, and not to allow your personal boundaries to hinder your personal life. To each his or her own.
    I wish everyone success on their personal journey to a healthy, happy weight & size :)

    ReplyDelete