Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Judgey wudgey was a bear

Sometimes I think I grew up as a big girl (and have stayed a big girl, with the exception of a glorious 2 weeks in March 2007 when I hit a size 10 - I still saw myself as a manatee, but I was a size 10 - woohoo!), is because God knew I'd be a great big judgemental bitch if I hadn't experienced life growing up on the plus side, and I had to be taught a lesson.

I'm serious. I think I might have been a "mean girl" if I'd grown up with a perfectly taut, toned body.

I'm a genuinely nice person, but I do judge (admit it, you do too).

Don't get me wrong, I have a wonderful, eclectic group of friends I adore, but I judge. I see someone my size or bigger and wonder how they let themselves get there. I even judge myself for my size/weight. I have compassion, and don't let my judgements color my perceptions of people, but I judge. I judge based on a wide variety of factors, primarily fashion sense & size.

Often the fashion sense & size judgements go hand in hand. Please don't wear a red string bikini to the beach if your rolls hide the strings. It's not cute. It's not flattering. It's not appropriate. It teeters on the edge of horrific.

There is a multitude of flattering swimwear on the market, including bikinis, designed to flatter plus sized women. These suits cover the lumps & bumps, and make you look cute, even SEXY! Just because they make that string bikini in your size does NOT mean you should wear it! Buy it in your goal size & hang it as inspiration. Buy it to take your before pictures in. But please don't wear it to a public beach if the strings are hidden by the rolls of fat. Also?Please tell your husband/partner that if his belly hits bellow his privates, a speedo is just as inappropriate. Pretty please?

The same is true for low cut jeans & belly baring tops. If you are like me & have a jiggly belly that the Pillsbury Dough Boy would envy, for the love of all that is good, please keep it covered in public.

It's as if the people wearing these things are screaming for a fashion intervention, and I have a little something I'd like to share with them: PLUS SIZE FASHION HAS COME A LONG WAY!

No longer are we restricted to buying polyester mumus in crazy prints, or polyester anything for that matter! We can buy beautiful clothes in beautiful fabrics & prints that are FLATTERING to OUR bodies! No matter what our body type, we can find something to make us look and feel sexy for any occasion. Have a great hour glass figure? Play it up! Have a flat belly? Play it up! Love your boobs? Your legs? Your toned arms? PLAY THEM UP!

In other words, showcase the good stuff & minimize the exposure of the not so good.

If you don't, you run the risk of being judged, even by the nicest of people.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with 'just cause they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it'! And of all the different types of people, it's not the overweight ones that irk me the most about this. It's the average to normal build girls with the muffin tops and the little beer bellies. First off, you don't have as much as work as me cut out for you to get to get an amazing body (that's right, your body is NOT amazing right now) so get your ass on the treadmill and blast that fat. Second of all, you ARE actually an average size, but thanks to unflattering clothing, you look so much bigger. Hell, I could even look smaller than you (OK, total exageration but you get my point)

    And I think I also just proved that yes, I judge too :)

    ReplyDelete