Friday, September 25, 2009

The Corset Cake


Today is a combo lingerie/birthday party for a friend, and I agreed to make a boob cake for the occasion. Of course, I couldn't be satisfied with just any old boob cake & decided to do a corset cake, complete with homemade fondant. And all of this was decided LAST NIGHT!

Oy.

This morning I wake up early & have my phone session with the FloridaQuit line people at 8am (yes, still struggling with cigarettes. Working on it!). Then I run to the store for supplies for everything from my healthy chocolate cake to the fondant & the not so healthy buttercream icing. Of course I also have to run to Michaels, because I can't find any of my pastry bags or tips. Where they went I haven't a clue!

At Michaels I encounter a very helpful lady who points out the various merits of different tips, and hands me a 40% off coupon. Love her!

I make it home with all of my goodies (this is an unexpectedly expensive cake, people!), start mixing my dry cake ingredients, glance at the fondant recipe, and realize I didn't buy enough marshmallows, as the recipe calls for 16oz & the bag is only 10.5oz. Pooh. Oven off, bowl of ingredients in the fridge (it's Florida!), and back to the store I go...

I find more mini marshmallows, race home & get started. Again.

I make a batch of my healthy chocolate cake & realize I need to make a 2nd batch. Alrighty... 2nd batch done, boob pan & 9x15" pans filled & into the oven they go! I make my buttercream while baking, pop it into the fridge & start cleaning. The timer goes off, I pull the cakes out & let them cool while taking a quick break.

Now.. time to start fondant. If you've never made it before, let me tell you that it is a messy job! Melted marshmallows plus powdered sugar, kneaded by hand with heavily greased hands... sticky & messy, but kind of fun, and really a neat process! I take a little hunk off & roll it out for the flesh like tops.
Oh crap... what am I going to put this giant cake ON?! I've been pondering this since last night & finally realize I have a giant baking sheet that SHOULD hold the whole thing... wrap it in aluminum foil as it's well seasoned & not so pretty to look at, and flip the sheet cake onto it. Success!

I pop the boobie cake on top of the sheet cake, cut & shape the sheet cake, lightly frost the whole thing with buttercream (to make the fondant stick), and add the tops of the boobies.

Then it's time to add the food coloring & I realize that I don't have any food grade plastic gloves... crap. I can't let it stop me, so I proceed with the knowledge that my hands WILL be stained for days to come. An ENTIRE bottle of red food dye is kneaded into the mix, and it still isn't enough to give me the burgundy color I wanted, but I add a smidge of black dye, knead that in, and I call it close enough! I roll the fondant out, lay it over the cake & voila! Almost there!

I dump the remainder of the jar of black dye into the remaining buttercream, add it to a piping bag (fitted with connector & tip, of course!), and it's time to DECORATE! WOOO! I with the "boning", and move on to the lacey bits. Of course, the black dye has gotten all over my hands, which are now looking decidedly mottled, but again, can't let that stop me! I pipe & pipe, adding lace here & there, and a heart necklace to the neckline, and finally I'm done!

I still feel like it's missing a little something, but this time, I'm leaving well enough alone! I'm off to clean my kitchen AGAIN (both the kitchen & I look like a whirlwind of flour & confectioners sugar struck), then it's time to take a power nap (a girl can hope for one after only 4hrs of sleep!), shower & get ready for the lingerie/birthday bash.

Now my only question is what to do with all the leftover black frosting... and how much to charge for the next boobie cake :)


No comments:

Post a Comment